One of the most interesting projects that a graphic designer can take on is to design a brand identity. It is so exciting to create logo options based on market research and add a touch of design magic through the creative process. Then finally narrowing the design down to an approved logo and seeing it out in the world for all to view, is a very rewarding experience.
Brand… unified vision
However, most of the time, a logo is not enough. Large businesses with layers of management require a thorough brand identity system that provides a unified vision along with marketing tools that help build the brand.
Brand… identity kit
Brand identity is the combined effect of visual elements in your marketing materials. A basic brand identity kit consists of a logo, business card, letterhead, and email signature. This basic set of materials can be extended to include: brochures, folders, flyers, website, exhibition stand and vehicle livery.
A successful brand identity is built around these 9 characteristics. How many of these characteristics does your brand identity capture?
- Unique business “look and feel” and on-brand message. Make sure that the way you write and talk about your business is unique and your graphics stand out and cannot be confused with the competition.
- Repetition helps clients and prospective clients remember and relate to your business. It takes between 6 and 12 contacts with your business for customers to truly remember and connect with your business.
- Consistent use of your logo and strapline on all marketing materials. To build a strong brand for your business, you need to have a unique visual design. This needs to be consistent throughout all of your marketing material.
- Memorable devices make your business stand out. You’ll be able to create a memorable brand through uniqueness, repetition and a consistent approach to all marketing material. Make your visual graphics memorable by creating a unique logo and brand styling.
- Graphics with meaning make your business’s messages come to life via symbolic graphics, colours and typography choices. Meaningful text gives depth to your developing brand and more importantly, your audience will be able to understand the meaning in your graphics and text.
- Clear graphics and text communicate your message in an understandable way. Make sure that your graphics are sharp, clean, simple and meaningful. Make sure all text expresses your brand and is in no way confusing.
- Brand honesty is key to delivering your brand promise and doesn’t alienate you and your company… or even worse damage your client relationships and your overall brand.
- Brand personality of your business helps you appear different and unique. Clients can immediately tell that all of your branded materials are coming from your business. If you’re the owner of a one-person business, your brand identity might resonate with your own personality. If your business is larger, or if you want to make it appear larger, you can create your own brand personality to connect with your potential clients.
- Professionalism in all things, from the quality of your graphics to the way your text is written (proofreading is essential!), to your personal presentation: the way you talk, dress and speak. Professionalism in customer service and in the way you treat people you meet is always important. Follow through on your offers and promises.
When you include all of these characteristics into your brand identity, you’ll have a business look and feel that will really help your marketing messages to be taken seriously: one that will enhance your overall brand.
If you’ve considered these characteristics and feel that your brand is falling short and letting your business (and your customers) down, feel free to give us a call on 07813 339789 or email us.
Growing your business, through creative thinking
Brand Identity Development | Logo Design | Re-branding | Brand Guidelines | Email Marketing | Web Design and Development | Direct Marketing | Brochure Design | Ecommerce Web Design | Advertising Campaigns | Exhibition Design
www.turquoise-creative.co.uk | +44 (0) 1293 886805